Monday, April 21, 2014

Breakthrough

Today I had my algebra I take the 5th quiz in Mathtoons number skills.  Some of the problems required students to divide a fraction by a whole number.  I had several students comment that they didn't know how to do that.  This is really the first time my students have commented on their weaknesses.  The other thing that one of my students discovered is that many of the mathtoons quizzes from the individual apps are in the app called Ultimate Thump.  I'm going to go through the Ultimate Thump to see which of the apps it combines. 
I am beginning to see some good uses for these apps in all my classes next year.  I have to check through the two to three geometry apps to see which have quizzes on quadrilaterals.  The best time for the quizzes is after the warm-up and before the actual lesson. 
Our real life math problem had to deal with some thieves who stole 30,000 liters of diesel from a pipeline.  The theft was valued at $70,000 so I had the students calculate cost per liter, cost per gallon and how many gallons the 70,000 would buy based on the current price of $6.20 per gallon.  The students really were surprised about the amount it came to in US currency.

No comments:

Post a Comment