Monday, December 1, 2014

Geometry and star gazing.

I was over visiting people for thanksgiving and they had a local program on which included a short video on geometric shapes in the night sky.  It was awesome because they showed the night skies and how certain stars together created triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons and hexagons.  It was really cool in that I had never realized that astronomers have looked at the sky to find shapes.  This is a cool way to integrate science and math and gives students a chance to see geometric shapes in situations other than in buildings or art.  I placed a link to the episodes on geometry and stargazing. 
I think I might get together with the science teacher to see if maybe we could do a short cross curricular unit so students see how the two subjects work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment