Thursday, February 12, 2015

Numb3rs TV show

Due to a problem with the heating system at school, I have the day off and I am watching Numb3rs reruns via DVD's.  When it was on, I used many of the lessons in my classroom after I showed the appropriate episode as it gave students some ideas of how it was used in real life.  One episode, I remember is the couple who went cross country and the lesson used mapquest and the rate/time/distance formula to plot their path and making predictions.  So I wondered if there were still lessons available and yes Cornell university still has a website up with information on the first three seasons and the wolfram info for seasons 4 and 5.
I am aware that some of the math is a bit of a stretch but I teach students who do not have access to many of the situations shown in the series so this exposes them to the idea that math is everywhere in the world even if you are not aware of what is going on. 
My plan over the next couple of weeks is to download all the lesson plans, worksheets, etc I can find so I have them in one place and so I can make adjustments to incorporate additional technology into the lesson plans and plan to use these as part of my regular teaching and have a few set aside that could be done by a sub when I am gone for any length of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment