Saturday, November 14, 2015

What Do I Do?

  What do you do when you students don't want to use technology because using the pencil and paper is easier but they want to text and play games on their phones.

I am looking at trying project based learning in one class next semester and I'm looking at ways to incorporate technology into the projects so that it is an integral part of the project.  I am looking at doing it in my Geometry class because the class has older students who are more likely to be able to complete the project without always asking "What do I do next?" and "Is this right?"

What I"m picturing right now is having the project set up so that the finished project is the proof of having learned the material and could be used as an artifact in a portfolio.  Since most things are switching to digital, this project would be digital.

Since I"m at the beginning of my planning, I'm looking at these possibilities.
1.  Book Creator.   Students could use this to create a book with a graphic organizer, work, illustrations, and real world uses.  Book Creator Free allows students to produce 1 book.  The paid version does not restrict the number of books.

2.  Keynote.  It is a slide presentation but students can incorporate so many things like animations, videos, text, etc.  They would be able to include they need to prove understanding.

3.  One of the note taking apps such as penultimate that allows them to include everything needed.

4.  Maybe even imovie.

I think I might list several apps so students have a choice of which one they want to use to show their work.  In addition, there would be a rubric for grading, possibly a menu to choose what they want to put in the final project to showcase their work!

So this brings me to the original question.  How do I help students feel more comfortable using digital methods.  I know one reason I dislike digital is because for me it is so much easier to just write things out.  When I text, I still hunt and peck my way through that dinky keyboard.  I prefer the full sized keyboards and tend to buy keyboards for my digital devices. 

If its a game, my kids love using the device but if it requires typing or creating something digitally, they don't want to do it.   If anyone has suggestions for helping students be more comfortable using devices to produce work for class, please feel free to make suggestions. 






No comments:

Post a Comment