Thursday, January 4, 2018

One Step Equations + Real World

Math, Mathematic, Square, Mathematical  When I learned to solve equations, we solved them without any real world context.  It wasn't important.  When we did have "real world" problems, the books were so old that we'd see questions about Roman ships and the number of slaves needed to row it.

I've noticed that my students have issues with writing equations for real world situations due to having learned to solve one step equations in isolation. 

In a couple of weeks, my Pre-Algebra class will be starting the topic.  Instead of teaching it the usual way in isolation, I'm going to begin with real world situations such as buying soda's or pizzas so they can call on previous knowledge while being able to relate it in context.  I think its a shame we wait until students have learned the mechanics before most of us introduce the real world contexts.

As far as the mechanics, there are tons of activities out there which allow students lots of practice.  One site has suggestions including math mazes.  I've never heard of a math maze but it makes practice a bit more interesting. If you haven't seen them, they are a bit like flow charts with the problem and arrows with possible answers.  If you choose the correct answers, you'll get through the maze to the end.  If not, you don't so you know if your answers are correct.  Another mechanical way is to provide tic tac toe  activity where two students play it the normal way, except they have to solve the equation before they can claim it as a O or X.

But most of the material I've seen seldom integrates real world applications with the standard practice worksheets and activities.  I am going to introduce the topic by asking them to write a word problem to go with 3x = $59.85 or x + 5 = 6.25.  I like the open questions because they allow for multiple correct answers.

The next step is to provide a word problem which they have to turn into a one step equations so there is  the connection.  I also plan to weave videos through this part to reinforce learning and help them work on their active learning skills.

Throughout the unit, I want students to create word problems or situations to go with solving one step equations.  I'll throw in the math mazes, tic-tac-toe games,  and the ever wonderful snow ball fight, where students write a one step equation on a piece of paper before crumpling it up and throwing it around until the teacher says stop.  They open up the paper, solve the equation, then crumple the paper up again and throw it until until the teacher says stop.

Students need to practice the mechanics but they need to do it in a more fun way so they don't feel as if they are just answering problem after problem for no reason.  If students see no reason to learn something, they won't be as motivated as they might be.  I'm hoping by connecting it to real life situations, they will have a better understanding.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear. 




No comments:

Post a Comment