Friday, June 21, 2019

Reading Statistics in Real Life

When I sat waiting for my connecting flight in Frankfurt, I watched the television screen. The big story on Venezuelan citizens fleeing to Peru. I immediately looked up information on the story because I knew nothing on the topic.

In the article, the author threw out statistics such as 3,000 to 5,000 people left Venezuela every day and that 3 million of the estimated 3.7 million people who have already escaped did so in the past five years.

Furthermore, the article indicates around 460,000 refugees have officially applied for asylum with several countries including Peru and the United States.  The U.N. is working on providing nutritional help to about 190,000 children.

All statistics used in one newspaper article.  If you stop to think about it, any article dealing with the economy, sports, or the stock market will have some great mathematical statistics.  I realize not everyone has access to real newspapers but with access to the internet, it is easy to find things.  I do not if students are aware of all the statistics contained in news.

Of course, the sports section has lots of statistics for a variety of sports.  It shows students, even their favorite player has stats kept on them.  This makes it more personal, and relatable.  There is usually someone in class who can explain what each stat means and how it’s calculated.  If you let this student explain, it becomes student lead, rather than teacher lead.

I plan to find articles containing all sorts of math for my students to read analyze, interpret and communicate the information in it.  This is one aspect we as teachers do not spend enough time on. We do not teach our students to do this and they need it.

In addition, they need to learn to read ads with discounts, special financing, and manufacturers retail
prices.  Applying the math to real situations rather than problems in the book will make the math more real to students because they can see its applications rather than experiencing it in an artificial situation.

So much math to share.  Let me know what you think, I would love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment