Friday, September 27, 2019

Ways to Help Students Learn How To Solve Multi-Step Equations.

The Fishermen, Sorting, Fish Market I've spent the last few days working on finding ways to help my students learn to how to solve multi-step equations.  I have developed several methods but I'm going crazy trying to find the online place I can do one of these activities.  After a bit of research it is the visual ranking tool by Intel but I don't know if it can still around

1. I create worksheets with no more than 6 problems on each side.  For each problem, I fill in the steps using the operation step by step so they fill in the information to show all the work.  For the first few sheets, I do this for all the problems.  The next set of sheets, I only do it for the problems on the front and have the exact type of problem on the back but the students have to do them on their own.  I finally provide worksheets with just problems to solve showing all their work.

2.  Another activity I like to use once they have a better idea of the steps is to write out the steps used to solve equations.  I cut the steps into strips and place them into envelopes with the equation written on it.  The idea is that they arrange the strips in the correct order, tape the pieces together and write it down on the accompanying paper.  This is especially good for problems with grouping symbols and combining terms before they can start isolating the variable.  Since it requires more steps to arrange.

3.  I like creating a lot of terms on halves of 3 by 5 cards.  I write a bunch of positive and negative numbers such as -12, -7, -3, 3, 7, 12 and the same for terms such as x, 2x, 3x, 7x, -x, -2x, -3x, -7x.  I make sure there are matching pairs.  I create problems using the terms so students place the terms together for a problem such as 2x + 6 = 5x - 4.  They then use the opposite terms to make zeros and isolate the variable.  Eventually, they will get x = an answer.  Once the problem is solved, they can copy it down on their worksheet.

4.  Once students are good at solving problems, they can go on keynote or power point to create an animated presentation showing the steps by having things move around.  For something that requires less work, one can have students use flip grid or other video program to explain how they answered a program.

5.  Take the deck of terms from # 3 and have students deal them out like cards.  They take their hands and create as many equations as they can.  They take each equation and solve it until they have all the equations solved.  This step lets them practice their skills without doing a load of practice problems.

6.  Use the strips from activity #2.  Instead of having the strips for each problem in an envelope, add several problems together so students sort the strips into individual problems arranged in the correct order so each problem is solved.  This takes their solving skills a step further because they have to identify the steps for each problem.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment