Friday, October 18, 2019

Splash!

Splash! is a mathematical software modeling app developed by Creative Learning Exchange to show system dynamics.  In other words, it allows people to model any simple system that increases or decreases.  

This app has versions for iOS and android.  Both versions are free.  It is fairly easy to use but since its for beginners it might be simplified.  

The person who lead the session used the rate of a bucket being filled with water at first and then added a second condition of water exiting.  This process used two different rates.  It was fairly simple to set up.

 The first thing one does is begins a new model by pushing a + button.  It has you name the model and the design page opens up.  Since I took the session at the Northwest Math conference, I had someone guiding me through the set up.

This group has prepared a really nice 43 page instruction booklet which explains how to use the app.  In addition, it shows how some of the different types of systems, this app can be used for.

The left side of the work area has the parts used to create the actual system.  Going from top to bottom, the first one is the container which represents the changing item such as cash, interest, CO2 levels, etc.  The next one is the pipe tool which notes the thing that causes the item in the container to change.  It's location determines if the change is positive or negative.

The circle is the auxiliary button which allows people to select a symbol  to use.  There are so many to choose from.  The arrow on the bottom is the connector which allows you to instruct the program on relating two things together. The buttons on the right provide the basic operations and the ability to add a graph.

I made a quick model for population with only the knowledge I had from the workshop. I can tell you it is not quite correct because I do not have the proper relationship between the population and birthrate.

One nice thing is that I can easily go back, change things, and make adjustments to the basic model until I get it right. There is an undo button when I get something wrong or I can delete things if needed.

Even without putting a graph into the model itself, it automatically makes graphs available.  

According to another presenter, when students set up a system in this type of modeling software, they only have to worry about how the pieces fit together to create the whole system.

Students do need to know rates for things like birth and death rates, or interest, or whatever but they do not need to really know the actual mathematical equations involved because the software provides it.

This app provides a visual of how the pieces interact with each other so they see the whole picture rather than struggling with the math.  As I'm exploring this app, I'm enjoying playing with it.  Creative Learning Exchange also provides lessons and quite a bit of support. I plan to continue playing with this app until I feel comfortable enough to use it in class with my students.

You might want to check it out by downloading the app and playing with it.  I think that students as young as 5th or 6th grade could run easy scenarios using this software.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment