Monday, December 16, 2019

Digital Compass for Geometry

Compass, Ruler, Circle, Straight-EdgeI do not like using compasses and straightedges in my Geometry classes because most compasses I end up with break, or the pencil holder dies, or something else so I can't use them.  I've also had some students who would see them as a good weapon so I'd rather not provide them with that temptation.

Unfortunately, I had not found anything I could easily use to  recreate certain geometric drawings.  I looked for digital possibilities but didn't find any until the other day when someone on twitter recommended Robocompass.  It is a web based program and comes highly recommended by a variety of people.

As soon as I opened the program, it took me to a blank slate.  On the left side is the space where you type in the commands.  At the top left side there are several examples such as tessellation's using rotations or translation, bisecting an angle and several other things.  On the right side, there is a help button which lists all the commands, form, and what they do.

As you type in one of the standard commands, a help box pops up, showing you the general command and a real example with numbers so you can figure out what to do.  I had fun exploring it and I created a small piece of pie.

I made a video of the program I made so you could see it in action.  Once you have finished your project, you hit the play button and it shows each step of the process by showing each line and highlighting it so you can connect the command with the action.

It is easy to use.  The help page was clear with the generic commands and specific examples to show how it works.  I could readjust the numbers until I actually had the final product I wanted.  I plan to play with it more.

This free program is fun and best of all, it works on my iPads too so it can be used on computers or iPads.  I hope you check it out.  Let me now what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment