Monday, January 6, 2020

Number Rock

Film, Projector, Movie Projector, Cinema Number Rock is a site geared for grades K to 8. It has some short animated music videos one can use in the high school math class, especially for students who are lacking certain skills.

The site has some free videos while it does require money if you want to access all their videos.  On the other hand, they also have posted some on Youtube.  Unfortunately, some of the videos use images I don't like.

They have one on inequalities geared for fourth grade but it uses the idea that the alligator eats the larger number.  If that is the only way students can remember how to use the inequality sign, I'll live with it but I'd prefer the student actually know what is going on.  I do have students in high school who have issues with the inequality signs, so this would be appropriate.

Some of the videos I see that I could use for my high schoolers include the one on inequalities, the rules of rounding, integer numbers, numerical expressions, comparing or ordering decimals, order of operations, area model multiplication, rounding numbers, square, prime, and composition numbers, multiplying or dividing decimals, triangles, and so many more topics.

Each video has a ton of support materials such as work sheets, games, quizzes, worksheets, lesson plan, drills, answer keys, and the ability to download the video but to access these you need to sign up for the service.  They do give a 30 day trial should you desire to check out all the materials It appears that you can access every video they've produced on Youtube but there are no support videos.

Although the videos are geared for younger grades, I see using some of the videos as a way of supplementing, reviewing, or differentiating material.  Since these are music videos, kids are likely to enjoy listening to them.  In addition, they provide a great review of things they should know but may have forgotten.

These videos are easily assigned to students to watch the night before so they have reviewed the material before you have to teach the lesson.  I watched the video on the coordinate plane and the chorus talked about counting left or right for the x-axis and up or down for the y axis which is something my students often forget.

I looked at another video on 3 dimensional shapes geared for 3rd to 5th graders but it is one I could easily use in my geometry class when we get to 3 dimensional shapes.  This one discussed various shapes such a pyramids built by the Egyptians and two other groups.  They talked about the square base and triangular sides that make up the pyramid.

Each video is quite short so it won't take a lot of time. Some videos are actual songs while others are raps.   I think I would create a viewing guide so students can fill out the guides as they watch the video but I would do this only after I let them watch the video through once.

This one resource I intend to add to my the ones I already use in my classes.  I often list videos for students to watch when they are traveling or sick so these would be good for reviewing how to do certain things.  Check out the videos, let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment