Monday, December 14, 2020

Figuring Out What To Teach During The Pandemic.

 

I  really dislike trying teaching during these trying times.  The district I work for, provided a list of topics I should concentrate on, shorten, or eliminate.  Unfortunately, many of the topics they said to drop are needed to provide a foundation for later concepts.  Although our school is in person, I have many students who are regularly gone due to someone in their family being on quarantine or in jail, or other reasons so I have to consider this when I write a lesson.  In addition, when we are red, we use packets since not all students have computers, or reliable internet.  The nice thing about graphing is there are apps I can have students download onto their phones so they can graph without the internet.

Unfortunately, when I have to send packets out, I have to include detailed explanations to provide additional clarity for textbook explanations.  In addition, I create videos that are posted in google classroom for students who have decent internet and are available on thumb drives for students with a home computer.  Rather than having a complete online class, I have office hours via google, zoom, or phone so students can either attend digitally or call in via phone to ask questions.  If they have e-mail, I will send answers via e-mail if they phoned or sent a question in.

I've taken two classes on teaching virtually, one was on math but both seemed to be geared more towards teaching via Zoom with the assumption, all students have access to great internet. Neither one really addressed the issue of creating packets that can be used by students to learn.  Packets require students to be self motivated and willing to work.  I'm not sure how to have students complete work if they normally struggle in the classroom.  

I have students who struggle in person because they have gaps in their foundational knowledge.  They need to ask questions. They need to make sure they are doing the work correctly.  They need the reassurance they get in person. I don't know how to convey that via a packet.  This is one huge reason I ask myself if they really need that topic now. 

For Algebra I, I can cover the material when they see it in the Algebra II class while those in Algebra 2 should see it again when they take pre-calculus or go to college.  I've come to the conclusion that if I can't cover it this year, they will have another opportunity to learn it. I do wonder if I'm being fair but I do think I'm being realistic about this.

I admit that  for some topics, I'm stressing using graphing to answer rather than mathematical methods because it helps students learn to interpret graphs while understanding the connection between the written equation and it's visualization.  I hear again and again that students need a visual to connect to the equations.  Fortunately, the graph works for many things.

I also realize that no matter what we do this year, no matter what we cover, our students will be have gaps in their knowledge. Perhaps, more than normal.  We try but we can only do what we can.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment