Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Creating A Word Wall

I've used word walls for years but I haven't always created them properly.  When I first began creating the word wall, I only had the words with definitions but over time, as I learned more about making them, I had to add to them.  Unfortunately, using only definitions do not help students connect everything associated with the concept.  

In mathematics, it is important to do more than tack the word and it's definition on the wall.  One needs to include the formula associated with the word and define all variables contained in the equation.  It is also important to create a visual of the word so students have a way of remembering it and for many students it is much easier to remember a picture.

It is recommended that each item posted be done in a clean and easy manner so it's easily readable, includes some sort of visual, be colorful if possible because the mind remembers color, have a concise definition, and allow the words to present the visual for terms like fractions, percentage, etc.

So let's start at the very beginning.  I recommend that each math class have one area dedicated to it such as Algebra I, Trades Math, Algebra II, etc.  Although many terms are found repeatedly throughout the different classes, the depth of coverage may vary.  I've set aside bulletin boards for this but I've also hung everything on a school wall using tape or the squishy stuff.  It depended on how the room was arranged.

When I first began, I would create the words and definitions by hand.  I'd write it all out but that took so much time so I switched to using other programs.  I've used MS word, Pages, or sites such as school express or Canva but I like the school express because it is basic, allows me to type everything in and it will create pages with the terms I need.

Once you have the word, definition, visual, forumla, definition of variables, and any thing else you want associated with the word, place them all together on the wall so students see them connected.  If you are focusing on  words that all mean the same thing such as increased by, added to, together because they are all words that refer to addition.  

As a way of helping students take ownership of the new vocabulary, you might divide the class up into small groups and assign one vocabulary word to each group.  Let the individual groups create the material for the word wall by supplying cards, colored pencils.  Be available to guide students if they have questions.  I usually save this activity for the end of a section so they've had time to learn more about the vocabulary.

If you'd like a word wall but do not have time to create the word wall cards yourself, you should check out the Virginia State Department of Education. They have a set of words already done for Kindergarten through Algebra II, functions, and data analysis.  You have your choice of word or pdf format and the cards come with examples and have color.  

On Friday, we'll look at ways to use the word walls effectively to help students learn more.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment