Friday, November 5, 2021

TeacherVision

 

I am always looking for sites which offer additional worksheets or lessons or resources I can use in my classroom when I want to spice things up a bit. Yes I said worksheets because they can form the basis of interactive activities designed to get students up and moving around.  In addition, it is nice to look for lesson plans that might provide new ways or ideas for teaching certain topics.

I found TeacherVision which has worksheets, lessons, and resources for teachers. The site allows you to do a search based on subject and grade.  For instance, if I look up math and 10th grade, I find I have access to access to 221 resources including activities, teaching resources, classroom tools, worksheets, games, graphic organizers, and lesson plans.

This is a paid site but they allow you to download three items free before they expect you to subscribe to their service at either a per month cost for one or two years for individuals or you school could sign up for all the teachers.  If you purchase the premium subscription, you can access everything and download what you want. 

The site does credit where the item came from.  For instance, I downloaded an activity on blood types which is more of a science worksheet but it does deal with real life applications of percentages so it can be used in math class. I like that it has students reading a chart on which blood type can accept blood from which group, and the percentage of the population who has that blood type.  After reading the chart, they are asked to interpret the data to answer questions. The second half has students asking people for their blood type and then using the information to create a bar graph. In addition, there are answers available so you can easily correct the work.  

It is easy to log in using your google or facebook account or you can set up an account from scratch but I don't like the way they count your free items.  If. you click on the item such as an activity, worksheets, lesson plans or graphic organizer to see what it entails, they count that  as one of your free ones and you don't have to actually download it.  I prefer to see what it looks like before I download it and would rather they count the free ones based on what is downloaded.  On the other hand, you can view teacher resources without having it count so you can read them to see what they are like.  The difference on  appears to be based on if it is something written out step by step versus a prepared worksheet, organizer, or activity that must be downloaded to be used.

This is not something I'd normally use since I cannot easily check out some of the material before downloading it because I want to make sure it does what I want it to do but at least you can get ideas for teaching topics in your math class. Check it to see how you feel about it.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment