Monday, January 10, 2022

Games For Secondary Students

There is always a time when students become distracted in class.  They need a chance to give their brains a break so when they return to their work, they are ready to face it.  Students don't need any computers for these games so no need to make sure the internet is up and working.  Most of the games do not require a lot of prep so they are fairly easy to use.

I love using bingo in my class because I can list all the possibilities for answers on the board, pass out bingo cards and let students fill them in.  So instead of calling out I-35, I might say One factor of x^2-3x + 2 is x + 1, find the other. Students generally work hard to be the first one to find the answer so they can call it out.  I've used bingo with both algebraic and numerical factoring, fractions, multiplication or division, order of operations, and just about any other topic.  It just takes a bit of creativity.

I've also used a home grown version of battle ship so students can practice using the coordinate plane. Simply hand out four quadrant graph paper.  Have students draw in their five ships on the paper.  Make sure they have a divider or other way to block their view of each others paper.  Then they proceed by having the first person call out a location using (x,y) coordinate and letting the other person say hit or miss, then call out their choice.  The winner is the one who sinks the other person's ships.

Another variation on this is to prepare a paper with two 5 by 5 grids. Then the teacher creates two separate sheets.  One sheet is for the first player and the other is for the second player.  The top grid has the answers while the bottom grid has the problems but the problems are not the same for both players.  The answers to player A's problems (bottom grid) are on player B's top grid and vice versa.  When the first player calls out the location (x,y) from the bottom grid, both players work the problem to find the answer and if the answer is in the corresponding top grid with the ship it is a hit, otherwise it is a miss. Who ever sinks the others ships first wins.

I've also created cards with problems like I have x = 7, who has the answer to 2x - 1 = 3.  The person then solves the problem and calls out the answer.  The person who has the solution then says, I have x = 4 who has the answer to 3x+2 = 17.  This continues until it arrives back at the first person and everyone has a chance to participate.  I have been known to make some easier and harder problems so all my students can play.

Then there is the variation on basketball.  You provide each student with a worksheet.  They work through it and the when they have all the answers, they check them and if they get the answers correct, they can then throw them in the basket.

So here are a few to start.  I'll provide more later on in another column.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment