Monday, October 10, 2022

I Love Bingo.

 

Bingo is a game I absolutely love to use in class.  I've found that I can use Bingo for any level and any type of math.  No matter when I play bingo, I do it the same way for every type of math.  The nice thing about bingo is that it is a fun way to review or practice the current concept or topic. Overall it is low-prep and engages students.

To prepare, you need a bunch of blank bingo cards with 25 open spaces.  If you need blank cards, this site has one you can print out and make multiple copies to use in class. To make the cards last longer, laminate the cards, and have students use dry erase markers because the cards can then be wiped clean and used again.

Next you create at least 40 problems that have different answers so you have 40 answers.  Write the problems on individual sheets of paper, fold them and place them in a box. Write the answers on the board and ask students to select 25 answers and write them on their cards in any order.  One reason I let them choose the answers is because it gives them a feeling of ownership in the game and helps them buy in to the activity.

Once everyone has filled out their cards, you are ready to start.  Every student needs paper and pencil so they can work out the problem to find an answer.  If the answer is on their card, they mark it off, if not they wait for the next problem.  I will admit that my students usually work through the problem and call out the answers but when they do not come up with the same answer, it leads to people double checking their work and even arguing.  

I've used bingo for just about type of math I've done.  I've had classes where my students couldn't multiply so I'd have them fill their bingo cards out with products and then I'd call out various problems.  I've also done it for division.  In addition, I've put numbers on the board and they had to apply the order of operations to come up with an answer.  If they could do that, they'd mark it off on their cards.  It was also a great way to have students work with fractions, decimals, percents and the have them practice going from one form to another.

In Algebra I and II, I've done solving one, two, and multistep equations where students had to solve them to find the answers.  Then there is slope from points, from graphs, and tables. Multiplying binomials and factoring trinomials, perfect squares and cubes, systems of equations, various functions and so much more.  You can pretty much do bingo for any topic you have problems and answers.In Geometry, one can do bingo with perimeter, area, volume, surface area for all the different shapes.  It could involve a description where students have to come up with the geometric shape or calculate the number of degrees for various shapes based on formulas. This also works with vocabulary where students choose the definitions and you draw out the vocabulary or vice versa. 

This is one of those games that can be done a couple times a week or as a way to review in preparation for a test.  I've found my students love the game and are willing to play it but I do alternate this game with other activities such as search and rescue or Kahoot so they do not get bored with the same game.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment