Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Making Worksheets More Student Friendly.

 

Over the years, I've tried getting rid of worksheets but I end up using them when I have a sub, when I know the class is going to be shorter due to an assembly or because it is the only way available to find the type of problems I want to use.  Unfortunately most worksheets end up requiring the students to fill them out and turn them in but that isn't necessarily the most student friendly way of doing things. Just recently, I sat down to really think about how to make worksheets more student friendly and more interactive so they can complete them without getting frustrated.  

The other day, a few things came together in my mind and I think I figured out a way to make digital copies of worksheets that can be posted with help, hints, places for answers, or for showing how to do problems. It relies on using interactive images at genially.  I have several ways of making the worksheets more interactive and helpful.  


The first step is to create a jpeg of the worksheet.  This is easily done by finding a digital copy of the worksheet and bringing it up in a PDF reader like preview on the Mac.  Export the pdf as a jpeg so it is in image form. Once it is in this form, on your desktop, you can then import it into the interactive image frame. 

I chose to do a worksheet on domain and range with mapping so students get to decide if it is a function.  It is a nice visual worksheet so students can easily see the arrows.  Once you've uploaded the worksheet, you can put buttons in it, like the one you see in the corner.  The button is an eye and I set it up as a link to a short YouTube video on the subject and I've got it opening in another tab so the student can still see the work.

As a clue I can link the problems to a second page with a picture and a bit of text showing a function visually with a couple of notes so they can compare.  I can also add a page with text saying the same thing if I want.  I can also add a page with a link to the answers if I want or to a google form so students can post answers with descriptions of why they are a function or not a function.


Another way to make the work more student friendly is to take a screenshot of one of the problems off a worksheet and import it into the interactive image window.  One can link to a short video that shows how to solve this type of problem.  The nice thing about videos is they can rewatch it as needed.

For this worksheet, I would give the students the actual worksheet but I would have several problems posted individually online so they can use the interactivity to help learn to solve the problem. 

The button with the eye has a link to a short video showing how to solve one step equations and the other is page showing how to solve it step by step with explanation.  On another problem, later on, I would only list the first two steps and for the third, I would only do the instructions for the third step.  A couple problems, I'd only list the first step fully, and have the written instructions for the second two steps.  For the final few problems, I'd just list the starting step as a prompt.

The window or page provides support for those who need the extra bit but it is also a great way of providing guided practice at the same time.  If you prefer, you can put all the buttons on the digital copy of the whole worksheet but you also have the option to break it down.  If you desire, you can add a link to a google form with a few problems that students do on their own just to check their understanding.

It is so easy to add video, assessments, explanations, and examples so students get immediate help rather than struggling through the assignment.  You can also have them do the actual work on a physical worksheet and turn that in or have them place the work on a google form.  It is all up to you.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment