Friday, April 14, 2023

New Math Game At The New York Times

 

Apparently, there is a new daily math puzzle being printed by the New York Times.  It's called "Digits" a daily numbers puzzle. It is available for free right now in the beta version here.

It takes a few minutes to figure out how it works but it is fun once you work it out.  Basically, it gives you a target goal with several numbers that you apply operations to so you get as close to your target goal.

One of my puzzles had a target goal of 195 with the numbers 2, 3,5, 10, 15, 25.  The idea is that I take two numbers and perform an operation.  I might start with 3 x 10 = 30 and the window will show the equation.  Then I might do 2 x 15 = 30 and again the equation will appear in the side window.  I can then take the sums and add them together to make 60. Then I might multiply 25 x 5 to get 125 and add the 60 to 125 to get 185.  I am aiming for 195 so I am 10 off and I can try again.

I decided to try 25 x 5 = 125 and then multiplied the 125 by 2 to get 250.  I multiplied 15 by 3 to get 45 and then did 250 - 45 = 205.  The last equation was 205 - 10 = 195.  Just after I finished the wrong attempt, I realized that I needed to go higher and work down rather than trying to work up. 

For the daily puzzles, there are 5 puzzles you work your way through.  I had 94, 251, 382, and 456, so it starts with the smallest number and works through the numbers up to the highest.  You can earn up to 3 stars for each solution that you make and you do get stars for getting as close as possible.  

I noticed that as long as I do not submit my attempt, it doesn't seem to count so I can use the undo button as many times as needed to go back to the beginning and try again.  I find this helps me eliminate possibilities in my brain. 

This is something you could use in your classroom for older students to help them develop a better number sense.  Give it a try and let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great weekend..

 


No comments:

Post a Comment