Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Compromise with calculators.

Accountant, Accounting, Adviser, AdvisorI have a class of 9th graders who are so far behind, they test at about a 3rd or 4th grade level on everything from MAPs to MobyMax. Today, I discovered why they do not seem to know their multiplication tables or have trouble adding and subtracting.  The middle school math teacher let them use a calculator for all math that required a numerical answer.

At this point in time, I do not have the time to fully remediate their weaknesses and get them up to speed, so I've figured out a compromise to help them learn the processes but still allows the use off a calculator.

Right now, I have groups of students practicing their long division such as two digits into three digits or two digits into 5 or 6 with a decimal.  Say the problem is 452/28.  I let them use the calculator to do 45/28 so they know how many times it goes which is 1 and something.  They take 1 x 28 and put the answer - 28 below the 45 and then subtract.  Again they may use the calculator to subtract to get 17.  They write the 17 below and then bring down the 2 so they have 172.

They again divide 172 by 28 to get a whole number.  It is 6 times and a remainder so they can multiply 6 x 28 to get 168 which they write below 172 so they can subtract and get a remainder of 4.  The problem would look like this.

     
This way, the students show the work following the standard algorithm while doing the correct math and experiencing success instead of getting frustrated because they don't know their multiplication tables.  It's going much better because the students are willing to try and they are no longer spending all their time trying to remember their multiplication tables 

I am doing the same thing with the students who are dividing a two digit whole number into five or six digits with a decimal in it.  This group instead of complaining and refusing to work is willing to follow this method.  

I hope by doing it this way, they learn more about the process without getting stuck and discouraged. I am doing it out of desperation because if I make them do it without the calculators too many students give up and shut down.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  I don't know if this is the best choice but its worth a try.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment