Wednesday, May 29, 2019

2 New VR Apps.

Warrior, Dark, Bow And Arrow, WarriorIt is the time of year where I check for VR apps for math.  I'd like to integrate some into my math classroom because some of my students are more willing to play a game especially if its VR or on the computer.

I found a recently released game called "Medieval Math", a VR game in which the player is defending the place from invaders.  In order to get more power, you have to answer problems but you as the player can choose from addition/subtraction, multiplication/division, fractions, or Pre-Algebra.

After defending your castle, you can travel to help defend other lands.  This is not a static game, it is designed to be adaptive, provide information on student progress, and suggestions on areas the student needs to work on.  It has great reviews and has versions for both IOS and Android phones. It does require a headset with button to use.

On the other hand, there is the BuckeyeVR 3D plot Viewer created by members of the faculty at Ohio State University.  It allows you to visualize functions, vector fields, and parametric surfaces using virtual reality.  This is actually the viewer because you have to create the plot here before reading the generated associated QR code with your phone.  Once it comes up in this app, you check it out using Google Cardboard or other VR reader.

In addition, this computer based creation site includes a users guide dated January 2018 with everything you need to use the site.  Furthermore, there are versions for both Android and IOS and the best thing is that it is free.  Even the computer based creation program is free.

These are two new VR math apps, well new to me, that I've not seen before.  I have not actually tried either app because my google cardboard is packed on its way to my new school district so I can't try it but I plan to check both out in August, once I've unpacked, I plan to try both.  If you have used either one, please let me know, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment