Thursday, May 23, 2019

Universal Lesson Design in the Math Classroom.

Notebook, Pen, Pencil, Education, Office I am using the summer to catch up on learning more about lesson planning so I can improve my lessons.  I know I have to work with certain things but I can still make better lesson plans.  I'm working my way through Matt Millers "Ditch That Textbook" Lesson Plans.  One thing he's discussing is Universal Lesson Design as part of lesson plans.  I've heard of it, read some about it but I have stumbled when it comes to using it in Math.

In Universal Lesson Design, it asks the teacher to provide multiple means of representation which is fairly easy in mathematics because you can use drawings, manipulative, symbols, words, use apps to provide the representation, or use real world examples.  The material can be presented via the textbook, via edited videos with questions, and quizzes, or it could be read out using adaptive choices on the computer itself.  So this section is designed to provide a variety of ways to acquire both information and knowledge.

This is also the part of the lesson to clarify vocabulary and its well known that mathematical vocabulary can be general or have meanings that are both non mathematical and mathematical such as product which means the end result of a multiplication problem or something you make to sell or it could be mathematically specific such as a torrid shape.  It is used to activate prior knowledge, translating mathematical symbols into useable form, and maximizing transferral of knowledge.

A second element is to provide multiple means of actions and expressions. This can cover everything from worksheets, to completing problems on google slides, flip grid, or other digital manner.  This is the section to utilize appropriate technology, build fluency, and improve goal setting.  It is the section that provides a variety of ways of demonstrating what they know and what they've learned.

The final element is using multiple methods of engagement by providing choices, minimizing distractions, encourage collaboration and community, and increase appropriate feedback.  This is designed to both motivate and challenge them.  One way to provide motivation is to provide both choice of what to do and choice of rewards.

Personally, I understand all the parts. but I'm never sure what it should look like when I write lesson plans so I found an example here with each part labeled either representation, engagement, or expression, each in a different color code.  This goes with the idea of color coding your lesson by using the colors for the activities themselves.  This lesson is for Algebra but it gives a great idea of how to form a lesson with the UDL elements.

Its easy to find examples of lesson plans for high school math but the one I choice has a better example of showing the individual parts identified.  For me, this gives me what I need to start doing better in writing lesson plans.  I hope you find this helpful.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment