Monday, May 11, 2020

Baking Ratios Bakers Need To Know. Part 1.

Pastries, Bake, Sweet, Brownie The other day, I read something from Food Network that listed ratios all good bakers should know by heart.  I sometimes do ratios in Algebra I so I'm wondering if I can borrow the home economics room to have a cooking lesson using these ratios.

These ratios have been worked out to provide the best product possible.  For biscuits, following the basic ratio will give you the flakiest biscuit, the ones that make your mouth water.

Honestly, I'd heard about a ratio for pie crusts but not for anything else.  My mother was the type who couldn't really cook so she would use boxed mixes as I grew up.  I learned to cook from scratch out of desperation but it has only been recently, I've learned about these ratios.  I plan to put them on an index card to place on my refrigerator.

One thing  before I list the ratios.  These ratios are set up by weight, not by volume so weigh everything on a scale to have everything work out.  Yes, I realize this is a math column but cooking is a combination of math and chemistry.

1.  Pound Cake - the one item I love to use as my base for Strawberry Shortcake.  I prefer the pound cake to a biscuit base since it seems to soak up the juices better.  The basic ratio is one part flour to one part egg to one part fat to one part sugar.  Make sure to take the fat usually in the form of butter and eggs out about two hours before you begin baking so the mixture creams better.

2.  Pancakes - requires two parts flour, two parts liquid, one part eggs and half a part fat to get nice fluffy ones.  I admit, I usually take a good pancake mix and turn them into waffles because I prefer nice thick waffles over pancakes.

3. Meringue - in this case the recipe ratios are for the cookies made out of this mixture.  You will need to use Two parts sugar, one part egg whites, or one part sugar and one part yolks for the best results. One thing is to make sure you do not open the door while the meringues finish baking in the cooling oven.

4. Pate Choux - is the dough used to make eclairs or cream puffs.  This dough requires one part flour, two parts liquid, two parts eggs, and one part fat.  One mixes the liquid, fat, and eggs first, bringing it to a boil over medium heat before adding in the flour and stirring until the mixture pulls away from the sides.

5.  Pie Crust - uses three parts flour to two parts fat to one part liquid.  Always cut the fat into the flour before adding the liquid and do not mix it very much.  If you par bake the crust before adding the filling, the pie does not get the soggy bottom we sometimes experience.

6.  Fritter - the apple or corn fritter that is fried in oil.  The fritter dough uses two parts flour, two parts liquid and one part egg.  This makes the great basic dough but when frying them, it is best not to have too many in the pan.

7.  Cookies - this is the basic ratio often associated with sugar cookies.  You need to have three parts flour, two parts fat and one part sugar for the dry ingredients.  The number of eggs vary according to the type of cookie.

8.  Custard - the custard made from eggs and baked, not from a powder.  To get the best custard, one needs to use two parts eggs to one part liquid.  There is usually sugar added but just enough to make it sweet without being extra sweet.

I'll be sharing more ratios in Wednesday's column.  Maybe some of the students would enjoy trying some of these out at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment