Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Math Games For The Social Distanced Class Room, Part 1.

 

My school year has started with about three weeks of inservice and at this moment the students are due to start on September 14th with masks and desks spread out as close to 6 feet apart as possible.  Furthermore, only half the students will be in class at anyone time.  I realize I could assign students to play games on digital devices but those do not usually allow as much interaction among class members so I decided to find games I could have students use in class.

I'll be sharing several in today's column and I'll share several more in Friday's column.  The games are fairly easy and won't need a ton of preparation.

1.  I have...... Who has....  game.  This game uses cards with an answer and a question but the answer does not go with the question on the card.  For instance the card might read "I have x = 3, who has the answer to x - 7 = 4."  The answer of x = 11 is on someone else's card with a new question.  To play, you make sure you have enough cards for one per student and that the answers and questions line up so the last person to have the answer is the same one who read the first question.  After I pass out the cards, I usually give students a chance to read their cards so they are ready for the game.

To start have the teacher or a student read the first question such as " Who has the answer to x - 7 = 4?" Give students a chance to find out the answer to it so they see if they have the answer.  If students are struggling , encourage students to talk about solving the problem so they can help each other.  Once the answer is figured out, let the students see who has the phrase " I have x = 11".  The student identifies themselves and reads the next "Who has problem?" It continues until everyone has had a chance to answer  a question and ask a question.  

This game is a great way to have students practice previous and new skills.  It can be used for any grade and almost any topic from basic addition, to multiplying binomials, to factoring, to practicing multiplication facts.  I've used it to help scaffold missing skills and used it to help students learn a new skill.  I also admit, I have messed things up so I didn't manage to go all around the classroom and I've also managed to accidentally come up with equations that ended up with the same number.  On the other hand, when I've gotten all the cards set up correctly, it has been lots of fun.

2.  Math Bingo.  I pass out empty Bingo cards to my students.  On the board, I have a huge number of possible answers.  I ask students to fill out their bingo cards with answers from the board.  For instance, if I wanted to have students practice order of operations, I might say, select any numbers between 1 and 99 and write them down on your card in any order.  

Once everyone had their cards filled out, I might write the first equation on the board such as 2 x 3 + sqrt 25 x sqrt100 =    .  I let the students figure out the answers by doing the calculations and usually someone calls out an answer but no one writes the answer down until a second or third student confirms the answer is correct and then students cross it out if they have it on their card.  I'll put another equation and wait till they come up with the answer.  Usually, students want to play blackout because they are having so much fun.

I've used math bingo with fractions, order of operations, one step, two step and multistep equations, factoring trinomials, area, perimeter, trig functions, and any other math topic I can think of.  Again, it allows students to practice their already learned skills and newly acquired skills.  

3. The Great Escape - normally requires students to line up but in the time of social distancing, it won't work.  Instead have students stay seated at their desk.  Go through and ask each student three questions.  If the student gets the first one right, ask the second, but if they don't get all three correct, move on.  If the student manages to get all three correct, they can leave a minute early from class, or get to do fewer homework problems that night.  The reward is up to the teacher.

On Friday I'll be sharing a few more games that can be done in a classroom where the desks are 6 feet apart due to social distancing.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment