Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Making Your Own Math Memes.

 

Every so often, I want to start class off with a math meme but I don't want to spend hours looking for just the right one.  Instead, I've chosen to make mine so they apply to what ever topic I want to touch on.  The one to the left is something I created for probability.  Students enjoy reading things like this and if done correctly, it can grab their attention and are more likely to participate.

Fortunately, there are several online sites that can be used to produce specific memes.  I've gone through and tried them out so I can let you know how easily they work.  For the meme to the left, I used the meme generator here.  You can create an account or sign in with Google so that all the memes you make are saved or you can just do a screen shot to save the memes. 

First thing to do is decide if you want to create from scratch or you want to start with the meme ready to go except for the text.  I chose the template and just typed in the text.  I hit generate and it was done.

As stated earlier, you can customize the memes by adding photos, flipping photos, change the font, color of the font, insert stickers, draw and so many more things.  The site includes information to do this and it includes links to the GIF maker if you'd rather make an animated meme.  You can go crazy and have fun.  In fact, if you wanted, you could have students make their own memes on the current topic just to provide an opportunity for them to share their knowledge.

Another site,  meme generator offers a chance to choose the background and you type in the words such as in the meme to the right.  It is also quite easy to create a meme.  I made the one to the right and it took me two minutes.  If you don't see anything you like, you can upload a photo to use.  The directions are there under upload.

Although it was easy to use, the site was quite cluttered with ads and such that made it harder to find things.  I didn't find it as well organized as the first site I reviewed.  I also didn't find any place in the site to make animated memes.

Then there is Kapwing. This one is a lot harder to use because you have to select the image or upload an image, select the type and size of the font, add any animated portions, and determine layers, etc.  Basically, one has to build the meme from scratch.  

The program isn't too hard to use, if you don't mind spending a little more time to create it.  However, this site allows you to add video or music for an extra depth.  At the end, you can export the finish product to use.

I'll look at a couple more sites that you can use for making your own memes.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment