Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Numbler App

Numbler blank board
Numbler is a wonderful app that resembles a numerical scrabble but instead of words or sums, you have to create a full equation where two sides are equal to each other.  This app is put out by Braining camp who have put out other great apps.

This is the free version which only allows you to play against the computer.  If you want to play against other people, you have to get the full version.

The idea is that you use some or all of the tiles at the bottom to create an equation that is true.  You can combine the tiles for larger numbers and you can only use the operation tiles once.

I started with the 0,2,6,7,3,0 tiles.  I came up with 60/2 =30 which is a true equation.  The computer added =6 x 5 to the right of the 30.  At the end of the round, I had 11 points while the computer had 22.


The idea is that you keep playing until you run out of tiles or you can't play any more. It sounds easy but it becomes progressively more difficult as more and more equations appear on the board.

Anyone who plays this is going to have to move beyond simple equations such as 4 = 4 or 4 + 5 = 5 + 4.  It is possible to add a 45 = 9x5 = 45 = 40 + 5 = 49 - 4 and it covers a whole roll.

Every time you add a bit more to the original equation you add to the basic point value so sums can increase.  As you note, some square are triple value, others double, others just add 5 or 10 to the sum but these do not count the second time through.

Each time you play, the app automatically counts up the value and adds it to the score sheet.  I found it seems to count quite accurately.

This is a challenging game that could easily be integrated into even a high school math class because it requires a lot of thought.  I've had to stop and really think about the numbers I have and how to work around things when the board is more filled.

I admit for myself, I ended up resigning from the game before it was completely over because I couldn't find a place to play anything so I'm not fully sure when the game is over. 

If you make a mistake, the app crosses out the whole set and via a dialog box, it says this is not a true equation and you must try again.

I like the game mostly because I enjoy this type of challenge.  I want to try it with my students to help them build perseverance and develop their critical thinking skills.  I've read that students learn using games so I've been exploring games that students might enjoy and may help them develop their skills.  This is one that does it.

Check it out, give it a try, and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment