Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Geogebra AR (Augmented Reality)

 The other day, I heard that Geogebra now offers an augmented reality app which superimposes shapes over the background seen by the camera.  You snap and can capture the scene.

When you point your camera at something you can choose to insert basic solids, the Penrose triangle, the Sierpinski pyramid, a football, 3d function, Klein's bottle, and a ruled surface.

This first shot is one of the shapes from the basic solids.  Before I took the picture, there is a set of instructions telling students to take pictures of pyramids, prisms or consist of only triangles. 
In addition, with two fingers, I can move the group of shapes around so I can see all sides of each element in the photo.

I can move in closer as you can see with the photo to the right.  I can get close enough to see everything in detail.

I can move out to see the whole shape in context so there is a lot of flexibility.   By moving in closer, I can take a picture of the one or move out and get a picture of the whole group.

The shot to the left shows the group looking sideways so you see it as if they are all in the same plane.  Side note here: I took all these photos from my front porch, overlooking the lake. 

The shapes float over the grassy edge between the marshy area and the lake itself.  Since you can move the shapes around, it is possible to take photos of each shape from all sides.


The photo to the right was taken looking straight down at my carpet.  This indicates the app is able to orient the objects to the direction the camera is facing.

From this way, you can see what the objects look from overhead which makes it easier for students to see how pieces fit together. 

I usually have students create their own nets for various shapes but they often have trouble because they have never really paid attention to how the shapes are put together.

 This app would allow them to take one shape, explore it before working on creating the netting needed to recreate the shape out of paper.

Unfortunately, I have not found any developed lesson plans other than the instructions found at the bottom of view screen.

Keep your eyes peeled because next week, I'll be doing a column on using Augmented Reality in the math classroom.

I hope every one has a great day.  Let me know what you think.




No comments:

Post a Comment