Monday, October 2, 2017

Technology in Schools

Macbook, Apple, Imac, Computer, Screen  Today's entry is being written in response to a comment made on Twitter in response to another comment.  When you ask someone if they are joking about the use of what they see as an out dated piece of equipment, it shows a person who is out of the loop.

People often forget not all schools have the same amount of technology available.  Not all schools have enough computers or iPads for a 1:1 school.

My school used to but recently, we haven't had the money to update any of our equipment so its getting old.  We don't have enough computers or iPads for every student.  In addition, many are 5 to 6 years old.  We do have internet but the bandwidth is not enough to have more than 45 students on at the same time. At that point, students get kicked off or internet falls to a very slow drizzle so its hard to use.

Most classrooms have a smart board but about half are attached to the wall including mine. At this point it is too much trouble to have it removed because I only use mine for projecting web based jeopardy games.  I don't have time to create everything from scratch.  My students enjoy playing a mathematical version of jeopardy.

In addition, I often take already created presentations and cannibalize them for what I need out of them to use in google classroom or in nearpod.  I try to create assignments which allow students to become more independent.

I am lucky, I have a classroom set of iPads but I have to share them with other teachers in my wing.  I've been lucky to have them as many of the teacher only have the Smart Board in their classroom.

In addition, too many of my students do not have access to internet at home.  Internet out here is so much more expensive than anywhere else.  In town you can get one TB for $175 per month, here its $160 for 40 GB.  That is a big difference.  Even internet access via cell phones can be so expensive.

The teachers do the best they can with the limited technology.  The technology department  has placed the available computers on carts so teachers can check them out.  Teachers may sign up to use the computers in the library and computer room but again, due to the age, there are certain programs we can't update.

We all know what equipment and programs we should have but without an influx of monies, we can't get what we need, so we make do.

Just a plea to everyone out there.  Before you ask if someone is joking, stop and remember people may not have access to the same equipment your child's school has.  I am aware of places out there I can request equipment but some districts have a rule that if you obtain anything that way, it belongs to the school.

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment