Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Emojis in Math

Emoji, Emotions, Face, Tie, Funny  In the latest issue of The Mathematics Teacher, I found an article on using Emoji's in the math classroom.  I had just had a chance to glance at the title before I had to go to work.

I had a student in my second period class who struggled with the concept of anything to the zero power is one.  She kept trying to get it but just couldn't break through.  So I remembered the title and started drawing different emoji's on the paper, all to the zero power.

After a few examples, she had it and could do it.  This supports what the author of the article observed.  If you give students the algebraic math problem in standard form, they struggle to solve it due the variables being too abstract and too far from their experiences.

When using emoji's instead, the same problem made sense to them because students relate to them since emoji's are a part of their lives.  In fact, students could often solve the algebraic emoji problems in their heads, yet couldn't solve them when the same problems used variables. The use of emoji's allow students to connect with previous knowledge and begin the first steps towards algebraic understanding.

I realize the use of emoji's instead of variables is quite different but does it really matter what the representation is?  I've had students suggest question marks or a square for the unknown.  Yes, using letters for the variables is traditional but if students are able to gain the concepts using emoji's why not.  Isn't it the concept that is important and not the representation?

This information first appeared in the blog of one of the authors.  The example shown is wonderful and lots of fun.  I found  Solvemoji's  which is an online site filled with emoji math problems that works on both computers and iPads.  I had a blast working some of the problems.  What is great is they have multiple levels of problems from easy to hard.  If your answer is wrong, it tells you and encourages you to try again.

Step one, let them "play" at the site solving several puzzles.  The second step is to begin translating the emoji math into algebraic style math with the emoji's. Third step, translating the problems into the algebraic format complete with the normal variables.

I think this is going to be a lot of fun.  Let me know what you think.  I love hearing from people.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment