Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Kahoot

Vanna White, Television Personality  One of the middle school teachers told me about Kahoot toward the beginning of last week.  He indicated it went well and the kids really loved using it.

Kahoot is a game based site where people create a list of either true or false questions or multiple choice questions on a topic

Students bring up a site which provides entry to the game using a special code that was generated for this event.

The questions are asked, the timer goes off and the idea is to be the first one in with the correct answer.  When all the answers are in, the results are revealed including number of people who selected each answer and which is the correct solution. 

I didn't have the Kahoot app for my iPads but it worked via the Safari browser which was really nice.  Some sites insist you have the app and will not allow you to access the web based version if it recognizes you have an iPad.  It took a bit to get everyone in but once the game started, their level of enjoyment took off and everyone, I mean EVERYONE was engaged. 

As soon as the first game ended, they begged for another game.  When the bell rang, they didn't want to quit. I promised we'd play again on the next Friday class in two weeks.  Now I have motivation for them to get their work done and to learn the mateiral.

I loved there were premade games because I don't always have time to make one.  In addition, I can find a game that is appropriate for the level of my students.  This pre-algebra class is made up of students who are way below their grade level.  I've just started them on learning GCF, LCM, and equal equations.  They struggle with understanding GCF and LCM but once the game started, they tried.  No one got frustrated or gave up.

I found two games from 3rd and 4th grades which worked perfectly for the majority of students.  In general, no one student kept the lead throughout the game.  It switched back and forth because students wanted to be first so they selected the answer, then realized it was wrong and laughed.  Even my special needs students participated.  One is at a second grade level and she had the lead at one point.  At the end of the game, she was proud of her score. 

The week after Thanksgiving, I am going to introduce adding fractions with the same denominator and schedule a Kahoot game at the end of the week so students are motivated to learn and be ready.  Yeah, another tool in my tool chest. 

Let me know what you think.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment