Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Print vs Digital Books.

Book, Dream, Travel, Fantasy  My classroom still has a full set of print books from several years ago.  My school looked at digital copies but the digital editions would have taken most of the memory of the iPad and would only be good for one year. 

I figured out the cost over 5 years would have been the same.  At the time, digital textbooks were in their infancy.  I've heard they've improved but I was curious as to which is better or if we no longer need the textbook in its current form because of the amount of information and activities available on the internet.

According to a study done by Nielson, most students still prefer their textbooks in print form rather than digital because they don't have to worry about battery charge, its easier to highlight or make notes in the margin, and students have better cognitive mapping with the print.  In addition, most students prefer to take notes using paper and pencil. 

The downside to print is the weight.  Its a strain on the back when a student carries a backpack load of books.  In addition, students who purchase digital versions, do not face the bookstore being out of copies and the digital version is often less expensive.

According to another study, it appears that the print books provide spatial-temperal markers  as people read. The paper and turning the page helps with memory because it makes it easier to remember where you found the information.  Digital devices do not provide the same instinctive markers making it harder to remember where you read something since you scroll to move a page.

In addition, there have been studies done where undergraduate students were given the choice of either paper or digital copies to read 5 different books under different conditions.  At the end, those who used paper copies, scored higher except when disturbed while reading and the two groups scored about the same.  The authors felt that reading a screen is hampered by psychological reasons rather than technological. 

The authors conducted a repeat test two years later to find out if this could be overcome.  They discovered it can be if the person tested begins by preferring the digital format. Most of the research done has been on digital versions of textbooks but these do not address the newer versions of interactive textbooks such as ibooks.  The research I've read, indicates that if a teacher is comfortable with digital books, students are more likely to use them and be comfortable with them.

Personally, the biggest thing I've found with print vs digital books is that my students are not familiar with them and do not know how to read them using "highlighting" or "sticky notes" functions that come with the books.  I have to take time to teach them.  If I choose to use an interactive iBook, I've had down loaded to the iPad, I have to run a class to instruct them in using all the parts so they have a better experience.

I honestly believe students who are experienced with digital books, are used to reading the books for entertainment, so they read passively allowing themselves to be amused.  Yet I believe it takes a different set of skills to read the book actively for information and most high school teachers assume a student already knows how to do that.  I disagree with that.  I think we do need to take time to instruct students in methods of active reading to get the most out of any digital book.

Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear.  Thank you for taking time to read this.


No comments:

Post a Comment