Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Language of Mathematics or lack of it.

Teach, Teacher, Teaching, ConceptWe all talk about how important it is for students to know the vocabulary of mathematics but how often do we as teachers really use mathematical language as much as we can?

I use the normal vocabulary but this past Friday, during a game of Kahoot, I realized I didn't use it as often as I could.  You are probably wondering what I'm referring to.

The topic for the Kahoot game was solving one step equations.  I read the equations the way I usually do such as "x + 2 = 4" is read as X plus two equals four.  I realized I wasn't using all the mathematical vocabulary I could.

I immediately switched to reading it as "a number increased by two gives four".  Instead of teaching students to write the equation in verbal form for one or two weeks a year before ignoring it and reverting to the way we normally read equations.  I realized I need to spend the whole year using the verbal form of any equation so they build a better connection otherwise, they will always have that disconnect.  They will always see the two forms as totally unrelated.

This is especially true for English Language Learners so they become more fluent.  The thing we forget as math teachers is that language is made up of more than words.  It is made up of the words placed in the correct order so the idea is fully communicated both in written and spoken form.  Many teachers, including myself, forget that so we do not spend the time connecting the two forms.

In addition, I've started putting an equations such as 2x = 8 for students to create their own word problems.  This is an open ended activity for students to build vocabulary, begin to connect equations as a written representations of verbal situations.   A very important skill for today's world.  I love my students are coming up with different situations for the same equation. 

I feel this helps them improve their language and mathematical language because it improves their ability to express their analysis, interpreting data and ideas and them communicate that information in a way others can understand. 

This idea just mine.  I'm having trouble finding research on the topic.  When I've looked up information on the topic, I mostly find information on teaching it when you reach that point in the curriculum where students learn how to go from one form to the other and back again but not as much on relating the two throughout the year in other circumstances. 

I did find some great information on reading and writing in math which I will share with you tomorrow.  Let me know what you think, I would love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment