Friday, May 18, 2018

Study Skills in Math.

Old, Book, Glasses, Antique, Vintage Over the past few years, the number of students who know how to apply study skills has declined.  Very few who arrive in high school know anything about study skills and I think I'm going to have to begin integrating it into my classes.

Some of these skills will include how to apply them to technology because we are using it more and more in class.

Mathematics is one of those subjects which require active involvement to learn the material.  Students need to be active participants because very few become proficient by just listening and reading the material.  Working the problems is an important part of active involvement.

When students do not do the assigned problems, they have less opportunity to understand the formulas, internalize their learning, and transfer their knowledge.  In addition, math builds on previously learned material.  You can't solve algebraic fractions if you never learned to work with fractions earlier on.  Its hard to isolate a variable if you can't work with integers.

So to help students do better, I'll be having students learn to use Cornell Notes for note taking in class.  This is the same system the science teacher has them use.  This will make it more consistent across the curriculum.  I hope to teach them to apply the same system to taking notes off of videos because I'll be showing some but I recommend they check You Tube for help.  Furthermore, I hope to help them learn to review their notes on a regular basis by asking questions from their notes.

The next thing I want to do is take time to help students learn how to read a math textbook.  They have not figured out how to read a math textbook because up until 6th grade, they just have to work their way through consumable books which are not set up in the same way as my textbooks.  I don't believe the middle school math teacher requires them to read the textbook.

In addition, it is important for them to have a place where all the formulas are summarized, kind of like the reference sheets they get on tests.  If they can't read a reference sheet, they have more difficulty doing well on the test.  I hope to have students work on vocabulary words, both words for math and words they are likely to find on tests such as justify, or simplify.

I realize there are others but I think these are the skills that are the most important for my students to learn. These skills will help in college or if they go for additional training. 

Let me know what you think.  I'd love to hear.




No comments:

Post a Comment