Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Think Pair Share in Math

Thought Idea Innovation Imagination Inspir  I always hear from the English and Reading teachers, students should do a think - pair - share every time they read something new but I have no idea how to do it properly in math.  Its not like my students discuss the plot or the setting in math so I am not sure how it works.

When I ask them how to apply it in math, I get those funny looks of "I don't know, but you should, you teach math" looks. 

The idea behind Think Pair Share is for students to think and clarify their understanding about a reading, a problem, or a question by talking to a partner.   This process can help deepen their understanding, and develop skills such as listening, rephrasing material for clarity, and learning to disagree politely.

It turns out it really isn't that difficult to incorporate it but it does take a bit of skill because you can't focus on only reading the textbook.  It can be used :

1. To read word problems and identify the most important versus the least important information.

2. Discuss methods of solving a problem and settling on one strategy after discussing the merits of each method.

3. Think Pair Share can be used to help students activate prior knowledge, consolidate knowledge from both partners, or understand a problem.

4. Use it so students review each step of the process so they understand what needs to be done.

5. Have students review use this method to review the material.

The next question is "When do I use this in the lesson?"
Well, it can be used in the beginning, middle or end depending on what you want to accomplish but there are three parts to doing the Think Pair Share. First, you have to decide when it will happen in the lesson.  Choose a time when students need to reflect on the material to increase deeper learning and understanding.  It might consist of reading the text, or doing over the material the teacher just taught.

The second step is to have students take several minutes to think about the material and write down ideas.  Be sure to set specific expectations and the focus of the thinking and sharing.  Students need guidance when they are learning the process.  Remind students to use paraphrasing and clarification.  The last step is to call upon pairs to share their thinking with the whole class.  Include a follow up assignment to write in their journal.  Consider switching  the pairs so the same two people are not always working it together.

You can also use questions to initiate thoughts to write down before they discuss the topic with their partner. Some of the starters might be:
1. List four things you know about _______?
2. Write a definition for ________?
3. What is the difference between ________ and _______?
4. Think about different ways you can ___________?
5. Look at this diagram.  In three minutes, I'm going to cover it and you need to write down what you remember about the diagram?
6.  Read the directions and rewrite them for Grade _______.
7.  Summarize the mathematical concepts we covered over the past week.  What do you still have questions on?

I've never used it in class because I didn't know how to use it.  Now I know so its something I can use in class next year and I hope it helps my students learn the material better.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment