Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Multiple Choice Questions - Other Uses.

Quiz, Test, Exam, Questionnaire When most of us hear the term "Multiple Choice" in connection to math, we automatically joke "Multiple Guess".  I remember taking a few where I just plugged the answers back into the problem to find the correct choice, or I used the elimination method to narrow the choices until I got it down to the most probable one.

Many multiple choice questions are set up so the most probable incorrect answers are included so if someone makes a mistake, they'll find it in the choices.  More often than not, you aren't sure if they know the material, got tired, or didn't care.

The other day, I read a blog on how to use multiple choice questions in ways that may be more effective in class. There are ways to use it other than as a major test.  I liked what the author said so I'll share it with you.

I'd like to thank Pear Deck for these suggestions  which are easily integrated into math.

1.  Use multiple choice questions to poll students on a topic or get feedback on something.  You might ask them if they'd prefer to play kahoot or jeopardy as a way of reviewing the material in preparation for a test.  You might also ask which step is next in a problem by listing several steps to  see if they understand the process. 

2.  Multiple choice can be used to check for misconceptions and understanding in topics such as
      GCF & LCM
      Equivalent Fractions
      Order of Operations
      Binomial Multiplication
      Combining like terms
      Solving problems
The use of whiteboards either virtual or real is great for this because you post the question, students write their answer on the board and with a quick glance, you see who understands it and who needs a bit more work.

3. Use multiple choice as an exit ticket.  Ask how they feel about the material studied that day using emoji's and multiple choice.  Faces can range from great to crying so students can choose one to show how they feel about their understanding.

These are just a few suggestions for using multiple choice to learn more about student understanding outside of a testing situation.  I think they are cool and add to my teaching toolbox.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment