Monday, December 17, 2018

Knitting Magazine

Knit, Sew, Girl, Female, Make, Craft  I collect knitting books and magazines for the day I have more time to enjoy myself.  I picked up a magazine that was not the usual one filled with capes, sweaters, and tops.  It was filled with wonderfully mathematically based knits.

I've written about this topic before but all the pieces were spread out all over the internet but these projects are all in the "Creative Knitting special issues" from April 2017 that is filled with products using 1, 2, or 3 skeins.  I had a blast reading it mathematically.

It started off with something alledan infinity cowl.  It might be because it offered multiple ways to wear the cowl so each time it was put on but that wasn't the one that caught my attention.  It was the Ridged Moebius cowl, one could knit that is large enough to wear over the shoulders.  If you didn't like that one, you could always make the Roman Stripe Moebius. 

A few pages later in the issue, I stumbled across three different sized Modern Cubist Baskets which are either proper cubes or a rectangular prism with handles that one can place knitting in.  The bottom and sides are knitted separately knitted before being attached.

Immediately following this project, I found instructions for making nautical coasters in circles, hexagons, and squares.  The authors even offer a square within a square.  Of course, if coasters are not the thing, then try potholders which are square in shape but have fascinating patterns such as a pot holder made of blocks created by the pattern.

Next come the instructions for making felted bags in a squarish shape.  They are first knitted, then felted with handles that gather the mouth of the bag closed. This is followed by headbands that are nothing more than long rectangular strips of knitted material attached to form a circle.

Talk about being in heaven, Moebius strips, cubes, rectangular prisms, squares, hexagons, circles, and more.  So many mathematical concepts rendered in knits.  Furthermore, knitting is filled with patterns, patterns, and more patterns created to take one long piece of yarn and turn it into something so much more.

While I am out at Christmas time, I think I might stop and pick up some needles and yard to make these things over the next few months.  No I'm not a great knitter, I'm able to follow patterns well enough to make a pair of socks but I'm not quite up to making lace. 

There are enough patterns in this book and on the internet to have for a after school mathematical knitting club.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment