Monday, February 25, 2019

Game Templets

Roll The Dice, Craps, Board Game, Points I try to integrate games into my classroom as I can because my students would rather play a game than do anything else.  I think part of it may be due to the fact they all play a variety of games on their devices outside of school.

I've been using Kahoot and Jeopardy a lot but there are other games I can use.  The other day, I stumbled across a list of templets for a variety of games I could easily use in the classroom.

I"m sharing sites you can make power point type versions of several different game shows.

One of my favorite sites for finding Jeopardy games is at JeopardyLabs.com where I could also make a game if I chose but they have tons of done ones.  On the other hand, you can use power point templets to create Jeopardy games on your computer.  This site lists 12 places you can go to find templets to create your own games including one that uses Google Slides.

To shake things up, how about a family feud game for a change.  It uses two teams with 5 people on each side.  The question is asked and people answer.  It is possible to make one for math but you need the templet to create a game.  If you check here, you'll find 6 sites which will allow you to create one for your math class.  Each is a bit different but they all work about the same.  The one game I saw referred to as Family Feud, had students answer questions and show their work in order to get the point.

If neither Jeopardy or Family Feud is something you like, you could try Wheel of Fortune.  I realize it works mostly using words but it could be used with mathematical vocabulary.  This one is considered quite realistic while this one is definitely a power point presentation set up as a Wheel of Fortune Game.  I think it would be a great way to practice vocabulary, operation words, even mathematicians.

I've often wondered how one could use The Price is Right in the classroom but it's taken me a while to figure that out.  Its a great avenue for having students practice cost per ounce for various items.  Rather than giving a product to students to guess the price, why not provide two versions of the same product and have students calculate which one is the better buy?  This site offers a power point with 8 slides that could easily be edited. This one on the other hand, is simple and has only one set of slides but you can easily make copies.

If you've ever seen the Cash Cab show, there is even a templet for creating one of your own.  The templet is set up for 12 questions which could easily be math questions of any level.  Students need to work through the problems before they come up with an answer.

Last but not least is the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with three different templets.  The first has space for 12 questions, easily edited.  This Google slides version is ready to be edited for your topic while this one comes with music, lifeline, etc.  The questions can be set up from easy to harder to hardest which is the way normal games are set up.

So all these templets are downloadable and you can create multiple games to use in your class.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment