Thursday, March 7, 2019

Trying Something New.

Session, Science, Pictogram, FatigueMy 9th grade math class is extremely low and very unmotivated.  The only time they really get excited is when we play Kahoot, Jeopardy, or work on a games based website.  Unfortunately, I have to give tests to monitor their progress in addition to using the results of games based websites.

This group shuts down and gives up easily.  They lack a lot of motivation and do not do well with regular tests so I've written a partner test.

I divided the class into groups of two students.  One student gets version A while the second student gets version B.  Each version has different problems but both problems have the same answer.  One student might have 24 x 36 while the other 54 x 16 yet the answers should match.

If the answers do not match, they know instantly something is wrong.  I chose to do it this way so they get immediate feedback and they can check their work as they progress through the test.  Furthermore, it slows them down to really stop and check their work each step of the way.

In addition to giving immediate feedback, it means they have to communicate to explain what they did and why they chose to solve it a certain way. This method also requires them to look for mistakes and helps them build perseverance in a safer situation.

I've known teachers who think of this type of test as cheating because students are not doing this on their own.  I'm more concerned with students learning the material than them "proving" they know the material.  I'd rather give a test like this to students who have little motivation.  I'm hoping they get more confident and are willing to work more independently.

What's fascinating is the lack of research or information in general on this topic.  I look up partner tests and get all sorts of on-line places you and your "partner" can go to see if you are a good match.  Even when I added "math" to the mix, I still couldn't find anything dealing with partner tests.  I even went so far as to type in "Giving math tests to two people, each test has different problems but they have the same answer" and ended up with all sorts of references to taking the Praxis or how they were scored.

This is apparently an area that has not had much written on it.  I wonder if people do not think its worth it or if its been disproven.  A partner test does provide some wonderful information via both the finished product and by observing students working on the test together.

I'd love to hear from others. What do you think of this idea?  Let me know.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment