Monday, March 25, 2019

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Quitting.

Writing, Pen, Man, Ink, Paper, PencilsThis is the year I decided to quit teaching.  I am tired of an administration that does not communicate well.  I am tired of all the rumors that run rampant because our superintended is unwilling to talk to us, and I am tired of so many other things.

One of the first things that made it hard to teach was when the new iPads did not get released to teachers until mid-December.  When I finally got them, I couldn't use them all the time due to a limited band width.  Anytime they test online, which is quite often, we cannot use the internet at all.

We were supposed to get Apple TV's but only two classrooms have had them installed as of today.  There are supposed to be new computers available but no one has seen them so who knows what is going on with that.  I'm frustrated because I have to rely on worksheets more than anything else.

In addition, the state government is threatening to cut 25% of the education budget which will have a significant impact on things but no one is talking about it. What we've heard via the grapevine is they will not be replacing any of the high school teachers.  Instead they will just put the kids online rather than hiring new teachers.  The classes in the elementary will be bigger because they are going to make due with fewer elementary teachers.

As I said, rumors are flying and no one is giving out information so I turned in my notice back at the end of January.  Low and behold about two weeks ago, one of the other teachers told me I needed to apply to the village his wife is from.  He said it would be fantastic and awesome.  So I went ahead and applied.  Then I saw another ad for a position in a district I had worked for previously that had a great calendar for me and would allow me to do what I want in the summer.  I haven't really heard from either one.

Then another coworker encouraged me to apply for a math job in the district she just got hired in.  Ok, it means I won't be able to participate in an international conference in Ireland this year but it would be in a place where they are very much about using the internet and technology for differentiation and for support.

I sent off a cover letter and resume this past Friday and I have an interview at the end of the school day, today. It would be nice because I'd know at least one person there. She'll be in another location but its close enough to pop in once a month and I'd be in the hub with the district office.  It would be cheaper to fly in and out of there, then it is to get here because they are serviced by larger airlines.

I finally sat down and realized its not that I'm tired of teaching per say, its more like I'm burned out here working with students who think a "D" is good enough or they don't really care about school because their parents are alcoholic or strung out on drugs.  I need a new place where I can try with different students. Students who want something more than a "D".  Who are proud of themselves and their work.

So I'm looking elsewhere instead of quitting the field.  This will tell me if I'm just burned out here or if I'm ready to leave the field.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment