Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Making Your Own Worksheets.

How many times have you wanted to use a worksheet but it wasn't quite the right one, or it had too many problems, or it didn't have enough space to complete the work?  I know I've had to settle for a worksheet because it would "work". Earlier this week, I came across an article on places people can make their own worksheets. 

One of the sites is more of a business site but it does have some worksheet templets one can use.  It has three templets for Math but none of them are what I want.  The workspace is like most others covered in this column but it doesn't offer as much as some of the others.

If you've been around, you'll see Canva listed as a place to go for worksheets.  Canva allows people to create or customize so many different things including a variety of worksheets.  Canva is available for both free which is limited and the pro which gives access to all the tools but the free version is great.  I found a short course on Coursera designed to teach people to create and sell digital teaching worksheets using Canva.  I took the free course and learned quite a bit.  Although it focused on the needs of elementary teachers, it gives a high school teacher enough information to create their own.

Another site is My Worksheet Maker.  When you click on the link, you get taken to the page where you get to choose the type of worksheet such as matching, multiple choice, fill in the blank, open response, word scramble, bingo cards, and flashcards.  I tried an open response question worksheet.  The whole process was quite intuitive.  I was able to create it with very few problems. The site has a few all ready done worksheets but none of them are really ones I'd use.  I can see using the matching one by putting equations on one side and answers on the other, or the open response to have students respond to questions such as "Why......." or "How......" This is completely free. 

Next is Quick Worksheet Maker.  This site is made up of different worksheet generator types and it has three different levels of membership from free to premium to pro.  It appears this is geared more to teachers of language arts but I can see how some could be used in math. The free membership only allows the use of four generator types, but limits printable storage and interactive responses to 10 each while the number of interactive worksheets is limited to two.  The site allows you to make interactive worksheets or quizzes quite easily.  It automatically grades these interactive activities and provides data to the instructor. It would be quite easy to use the word search, word scramble,  bingo cards, flash cards, crosswords, and so many more.  

I admit there are other worksheet makers out there which will provide you automatically generated worksheets but the above sites allow for more control over the type and number of problems and their placement.  You can add in pictures and videos along the instructions you want.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  On another day, I'll discuss making worksheets using power point or other standard program.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment