Friday, February 24, 2023

Ways To Improve Student Engagement.


 Sorry about yesterday.  I live in a small place in Alaska that has at best 2G phone service and internet that can be problematic.  It went down after I'd gotten my first entry for the week and went down right after so I couldn't do anything, even at work. So I am back and on time with my Friday entry. Today, I'm revisiting student engagement since that seems to be an ongoing struggle.

Fortunately, there are some things teachers can do to engage students so they are more involved with our lessons. One of the easiest things is to use manipulatives either virtual or physical.  Don't be afraid to use manipulatives in middle or high school since they can be used for multiple situations. 

For instance, grab some of those manipulatives that are small cubes, strips of 10, and squares of 100.  Instead, use the small cubes to represent numbers, the strips represent the x's and squares to be x^2.  You can use them to teach binomial multiplication and trinomial factoring.  You can also use them to teach combining like terms in algebra.  If you have two different colored sets, one set represents positive and the other negative.  I've have also used these for x^3 by combining x^2 with a single x to make x^3.   This type of manipulative can also be used to help students visualize properties of exponents, the distributive property, and even basic fractions.

In addition, it is important to provide differentiated instruction since most of us have students at a variety of levels even though they are in the same class. Sometimes, it can be instruction so one starts with the basics for those who need it, moving up to the more complex application of the same concept for those who are more advanced.

Don't forget to include math games.  When students are having fun, they really enjoy themselves.  One can use Kahoot, Quizlet, or other type of online game.  One can also arrange scavenger hunts, gallery walks, and so much more. 

Furthermore, take time to show how math is related to the real world.  Let students do activities where they are involved and consider assigning project based learning to have them more involved.  Due to a Covid outbreak, I have less than half of my normal number of students, so I am having them take recipes, enlarge them, calculate ingredients in cups, pounds, gallons, and quarts as if they are a real bakery.  Once they figure out what they need each day to bake 1025 loaves of banana bread, they will calculate the cost of purchasing the supplies needed to make that.

Finally, provide opportunities for students to explain their thinking to others. When you use word problems, substitute names of students so it is more relatable and use places they know.  When I have automobile problems, I usually have to rewrite them to use things like snow machines or boats since that is the preferred method of transport in places I work.

Give it some thought as to how you can get students more involved.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment