Friday, May 19, 2023

Math Games Website.

 

The other day, I looked a nice game called Math Dash Ninjas on Math Games.  This site has a ton of other games one could use for the classroom either as a way to help with scaffolding, giving students who finish first something to do, or provide extra practice.  I wanted to see how the games differed from other sites and games.

I began with Math Agar.  Again, it began with asking me what grade level I wanted and what skill I would work with. I chose 6th grade and the skill of practicing multiplication.  It gave a problem and the idea is that the student solves it while moving your circle around to avoid the things that eat you and trying to find the correct answer in the background.  Without a calculator, students might find it difficult because the problem I was given was like -18.2 x = -200.2.  Not something you can easily do in your head.

Then I tried Number Worms, again began with asking what grade (6) and what skill (multiplication) it gave problems based on that information.  In this one, you are given a problem and you have to steer your worm to the correct answer before one of the bad worms catches up to you and drains you dead.  This one is a bit easier in that it seemed to stick to the more basic types of problems which a person can do without a calculator.

I had to try Cat Wars because of its name.  In this game two cats are playing tug of war. The idea is the more correct answers you get, the better your cat character does.  I chose 6th grade estimation and had problems like 92/8 and I had to come up with the closest answer rounded to the nearest tenth.  This was nice because I wasn't trying to avoid other creatures so there was less stress.

Then I saw Zombie Math.  I had to try it out since I know people who love playing zombie type games.  I again chose 6th grade and ended up practicing reciprocals.  Green zombies came out of the underground bunker. I had a problem such as find the reciprocal of 3/7.  The answer was not listed as 7/3 but as 2 1/3 so it requires more thought.  You have to flip the 3/7 to 7/3 and then make it into a mixed number.  I liked it.

The site listed 27 total games, each a bit different and each can be adjusted to grade and specific skill.  I did not check out every game but I did like the ones I tried.  I strongly suggest you choose a game and play it so you know what it expects and whether you need to choose a lower level for a student who needs additional support. 

Go look at it, pay some of the games so you know what is expected.  I plan to use it next year for some of my students, especially those who are well below grade level.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment