Friday, November 15, 2013

Break through

Since the beginning of this school year, I have been integrating literacy techniques into my mathematics class.  I have also been using open ended questions and questions that require my students to discuss materials among themselves.  One of the things that I have been having my students do recently is to create word problems using certain key words.  As students share their problems, we take time to correct the grammar, the word usage, etc in the hopes that my ELL students improve their vocabulary and understanding of mathmatics. 
I have a class where I work with students who did not pass the graduation test in Mathematics.  Although most did not pass the test this last time, the majority of them improved their score from last spring and today we looked at all their scores and they decided what they should study next.  This is an awesome shift in their attitude and they seem to be taking ownership of their learning.  This is a tremendous step for these students.
Yesterday, I attended a teleconference where the presenter was suggesting a app called Aurasma but honestly it is something I need to investigate and see if it is worth integrating into math.  I am still not sure what it actually does and how it fits into Blooms Digital Taxonomy.  I know the idea is to have students create but is the creation being used to make something that is digital that is just a regurgitation of the material or if it is a true creation which uses higher order thinking skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment