Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Math Rings

Math Rings is a game but not the usual action game where you try to hit, kill, beat, shoot, or any other type of action, it is a logic game that can take a lot of thought to find the correct answer. 

The idea is that you move numbers and operations around so each spoke of the wheel is correct, totally correct.  The picture I have here shows that I got three spokes correct but the fourth is wrong.  That means there is a different way of arranging the numbers so it is correct.

I admit, it took me a few times through the directions to figure out how to play the game but once I got the hang of it, it isn't too hard.  You can move the numbers or you can move the operations and equal signs around so the spokes work.

So far the middle number has been one. You'd think that would make it easy but in reality, it isn't. It takes quite a bit of thought and some frustration to get everything aligned properly.  I would actually classify this as a logic puzzle rather than an actual game because it does require serious thought rather than using your reflexes.  I think this game could easily be used in any of my math classes for remediation, or scaffolding.

Over the summer, I've been toying with the idea of having some "games" available during class for the students who finish their work properly and need something to do for 5 minutes.  Of course my idea of a fun game is much different than theirs, so we'll see how they like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment