Tuesday, August 15, 2017

School Started.

Classroom, School, Education, Learning  Sorry about not publishing anything yesterday but I had to get my room ready for school.  School started today.  I have one class this year, "Fundamentals of Math" which is going to be my try it out class.

This class is for upper level high school students who have not done well in other math classes.  My idea is to take the last set of MAP results, group them according to their scores, assigning work based on what they need.

I plan to do this using Google Classroom because I can place all the work there for each group.  Just to let you know, I will be adjusting groups based on the strand.  Google classroom will make it easy to create collaborative assignments using Google slides or docs.

In addition, I can create Hyperdocs so each group can work on their own while I provide some one on one time with students who are lacking basics.  I discovered Hyperdocs this summer and fell in love with them because I can create a document with all sorts of interactive links. Anytime, I have them watch a video, I hope to make it so they have to answer questions at various times so they really pay attention to what is being said.  Too many of my students will just enjoy the video because they do not know how to watch it to learn.

This is the class I am going to try things out on to make it more student centered so they are guiding their learning rather than having me teach it so much.  I could teach it the traditional way but I have skill levels from low to on level, making it harder to do the old one methods fits all.

Many of these students have failed earlier math classes either because they do not have certain skills or they do not learn in a traditional classroom.  I hope by changing the way conduct the class, students might find success they have not attained before.

I will let you know how it goes.  Have a good day and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment