Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Performance Tasks

Ballet, Dancers, Woman, Silhouettes  Today is Wednesday.  That means its a short day so I started students on performance tasks.  If you are not aware, performance tasks allow students a chance to determine an answer based on information provided.

I found some lovely performance tasks at Inside Mathematics.   All the tasks are divided into grade level complete with answers and examples for grading.

Although I teach High School, many of my students are English Language Learners who need a bit more scaffolding.  I chose a task from the 7th grade level in which they had to determine which of the cereals had a higher protein level.  I enjoyed the task because it had them using ratios in context.

I sort of walked them through the task but I required them to be a bit more independent than last year.  I began the class by asking them "What is a ratio?"  The answers to this question indicated they were not sure what a ratio is.  After some discussion, I asked "What are some examples of ratios used in real life?"  This stopped everyone cold because they connect ratios with the math classroom and not with life outside of school.

I guided them to snow machines and ATV's because these engines use an oil to gas ratio.  I have no idea what it is but I've heard the ratio has to be right.  These machines also have miles per gallon and miles per hour ratios.  They started getting the idea because someone suggested certain stats in basketball.

Unfortunately, they struggled with setting up a proportion to determine the amount of cereal required for 9 grams of protein.  They already knew that a person got 12 grams of protein from 100 grams of cereal.  It took a bit but they managed to find the answer.

Disaster struck when they had to compare two ratios to determine which cereal had the higher ratio of protein.  Several students based their answer on the denominator of the ratio written in fraction form.  They did not bother looking at the numerator.  Because one denominator was 9 and the other 25, they assumed the one with 9 was bigger. 

This lead to a discussion on comparing fractions and needing a common denominator.  One student suggested finding decimal values instead which was fine but several students set up the division problem incorrectly. 

The great thing about this exercise was the way it exposed weaknesses in student knowledge.  This will make it easier for me to start the year and work on strengthening these areas.  This helps me plan future topics.

Let me know what you think.  Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment