Monday, August 7, 2017

The Flipped Math Classroom.

Classroom, The Engine Room, Computer  School starts in the next week or so and I've spent the summer looking for materials to use in my classroom.  I plan to use things I find to make the classroom more student centered so I spend more time with the students and less time actually teaching. 

I decided to check out the idea of a flipped classroom again when I came across this site with materials from videos to work already posted and ready to go for Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and Pre-Calculus.

Each section is set up so a student watches the video while taking notes before trying the practice and check section.  These are followed by an application set before ending with a mastery check.  Each beginning video is set up to be watched directly on line or can be downloaded to be used offline.

 In addition, students can download a packet of material including a note guide so students have guidance in what notes to take. The pack includes practice problems, and applications. Furthermore the site includes answers to the problems and a corrective assignment complete with answers.

The whole course is divided into semester one and semester two.  Each unit has a review of the material covered and there is a calendar available to put down the pace needed to complete each assignment.  You just need to fill it out.

I love the classes are set up already but I'd add a bit more to make it a bit more interactive but the basics are there.  This is set up as a flipped classroom but if you live in a place where there are issues with the bandwidth, one could always download the videos and show them in class.

In addition, the material here could be used for students who are traveling or sick and are missing class.  The biggest use I see for this, is with students who need a higher level math than may be offered or providing alternative explanations or work.

Check it out and let me know what you think?  Have a good day.  As you read this, I am enjoying myself in Finland.  I'm hoping to speak with some Finnish teachers to learn more about their schools. From what I understand, they teach less and students do better.  If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment