Friday, September 22, 2017

Explaining Why in Math

Parents And Children, Curiosity  Recently, I've been requiring students to write down explanations of what they did or why they did something.  My students fight me on this but I'm noticing it is making them stop and think.  It shows me if they really understand what they are doing.

In geometry, my students are classifying triangles by angles and sides. In addition to stating its a right scalene, they have to add that it as a 90 degree angle with three sides of different lengths. 

Since my Pre-algebra class is still struggling reading signs during addition and subtraction, I started having them write down if there are two negative signs, a double negative, or different signs before doing the addition or subtraction.  They need to slow down and read it carefully.

In Algebra II, we are just starting finding solutions to systems of equations using the elimination method.  They are going to have to explain what they are going to multiply by to change the coefficients before actually doing it. They will also have to write down why they chose that. 

In another class I have students working on solving one step equations.  I have them write down what the one step is so they can solve it.  For instance, if they have an equation like x -3 = 8, they have to write down "You have to add three to both sides to isolate the variable." Or since I've got a negative three, I have to add three to both sides so I have the X alone."

For one class, I am not asking them to explain what they are doing because they are still learning the basics of multiplying decimals.  When they get to adding and subtracting fractions, they are going to start explaining how they found common denominators and created equivalent fractions so they can calculate the answer.

Although they hate doing this, I am seeing an improvement in their understanding of why they do certain things to solve problems.   It sometimes takes me a while to decide what the best way to ask them to explain what they are doing but its worth the time.

Let me know what you think.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment