Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Math Games

Super Mario, Nintendo, Mushroom, Toys  The other day, I discovered a web based math site whose games work on the iPad.  Its Math Games!

Too often I'll find a site but it won't work on my iPad because its java based.  It is frustrating when that happens because my students are disappointed.  Even if the site states the games will work on the iPad, I check it on an iPad.

I found this when I was looking for a game for my pre-algebra students could play to practice adding and subtracting integers.

The site is actually designed for grades K to 8 but much of the 7th and 8th grade material can be used to reinforce skills in high school pre-algebra or algebra classes. Although it was not actually a game with things to shoot, it did work my students hard and they enjoyed it. Even some of my students who do not normally work, did so.  One even asked if we were going to do this again today.

I had them practicing the adding and subtracting integers from grade 7 material.  The exercise had four levels with 10 questions for each level.  I told my students they had to get all 10 right before moving to the next level.  This insured they slowed down.  For several students, the activity clarified the rules and they were able to do it.

I like they have several ways to find material.  You can either go looking at grade levels or you can check the skills page.  The skills page has everything listed by topic such as addition, fractions, geometry, or number properties.  When you click on a skill, they list the appropriate exercise by grade level so its much easier to find.

Each problem is set up as a multiple choice with possible answers.  The program provides immediate feedback so they know if the problem is right or wrong and there is a progress button so they see how many problems they've done and which ones they got correct.

In addition, there is a virtual scratch pad a student can use to do the work.  When they click the scratch pad button, an opaque sheet covers it but you can still see the problem to work it.  Once they have the answer, they can click the get rid of the scratch pad and select the answer.

As I said earlier, each topic has multiple levels which take them from easy to hard.  If a student repeats a level, the problems are different each time, so they cannot write down the answers to use again.

I plan to make this a regular part of my instruction. 

Check it out.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment