Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Correcting Test Mistakes.

Control, Quality Control, Certification  Up until now, I've required students to correct all their errors on tests before they could retake the test but most of my students will not make corrections unless they get points for it.  They do not want to retake the test, especially if they have to do the retake it after school.

They enter high school with the idea that everything turned in is worth a grade and they are allowed to make corrections for half the points. In addition, they do not need to explain why they made a mistake.

Furthermore, once they get any work back, its done with and they can throw it out.  They don't need it.  So I need to make changes to my teaching to help them learn to correct mistakes.  I read one blog where the person does not allow retakes.  What she does is she has the students make corrections and explain what they did wrong using complete sentences.  For this, they get half the points back.

I think this idea would work better in my class than what I've been doing because it meets the student need to earn back points but it makes them identify the error they made.  They have to determine if they dropped or ignored negative signs, or if they multiplied wrong.  I have a sheet they can fill out to turn in with the original test but I can add a small table on the bottom to summarize the type of mistake.  This small table will provide me with data I can use to see the type of mistakes they are making.

This method does three things. First it helps the student learn to spot their own errors, thus they learn to do this on tests when they check their work.  It also helps them learn to check their work on tests.  Most of my students when asked if they checked their work, glace at the problems before handing it in.

Second, it provides me with data I can use to plan my lessons because if they are all making the same type of error, it tells me I need to reteach it or provide additional scaffolding.  In addition, it also means they can see the type of mistake they make and learn to check their problems.

The third thing it does is to help students communicate their weaknesses with me in written form.  It is important for students to formulate their mistakes while using language because it helps make them aware of the problem.

So beginning next year, this will become a regular requirement for tests in my classroom. That is if they want the extra points. Don't worry, they will only earn half the points they missed but for some students it might help them obtain a passing grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment