Friday, August 31, 2018

Mathematical Bingo

Bingo Gambling Game Luck Bingo Bingo BingoThe other day, I wanted to run a bingo game using math equations and verbal descriptions.  That type of game is not always easy to find on the internet so I figured a way to do it myself.  It wasn't all that hard to set up.

First thing I did was find a bingo card templet on the internet.  One that allowed students to write in their choices.  I made copies for people so they could fill in their choices from a huge list on the front board.

I found a wonderful random name drawing generator at Name Picking Ninja because it allowed me to input a list of terms and I could eliminate the answer and not use it again.

It took students about 10 minutes to select 25 out of 40 algebraic expressions on the board.  I let them customize it so they'd have more buy in. 

The add names is where I added my list of predone choices I typed up in word.  I had to delete a list of writers but that took a short time.

When ready, I hit the go button, the choices spun and it stopped on one as you see in the photo.  I read the verbal phrase out loud.  For some of the classes who struggled more with this, I asked what product meant or second power to help them talk about the math more. 

The first one who managed five in a row got a small piece of candy as a reward.  Overall, it went well because it helped encourage conversation and it gave students practice in connecting the verbal with the algebraic expressions.  The down thing is that it was a bit slower since it involved discussion.

I will be able to use this in other classes to just as easily and I can use vocabulary, slope, linear equations, etc to test their knowledge.  I chose this venue so when they have a quiz on Friday, they might do better since we actually used it in a situation.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment