Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The First Days of Class

Books, Library, Jrr Tolkien As you know I work with ELL students in the wilds of Alaska.  On the very first day of school, we welcome students, go over things, and pass out permission slips etc for students because the next four days they will be out of the building doing something. 

Middle school students take daily trips out on the tundra to learn more about the plants and animals their ancestors ate and how to use them.  They might fish one day, play native games, or run around.  The high school goes out camping and does the same type of thing.

It isn't until the second week we actually start teaching and that is when I have certain activities I give the students every year.

1.  I pass out a textbook scavenger hunt for them to become acquainted with their textbooks.  They do not like to read and will work hard to avoid doing much with it so this is one way they will find the answers, index, glossary, and other important pieces of information.

2.  By Wednesday, I'll start students on learning to use Cornell notes in Math.  The science teacher and the social studies teachers also use this method in their classes so they will get a strong introduction to it. 

3.  After they've been reminded about Cornell Notes, I take time to show them how to outline the book using a straightforward outline but they will still do vocabulary and examples in their Cornell notes.

4.  Usually just before they get the scavenger hunt, they get the syllabus so they know what is happening and the 10% decrease per day they are late.

These are the four big ones but this is compounded by MAP testing about the same time.  Makes it hard to really do much teaching till the 3rd full week.

I think its important to help students learn skills which will carry through to any advanced training they choose to go to.  Half the struggle in my math classes is helping the students learn to look at their notes for review or for help when doing problems.

Most of my students arrive in high school with no study skills, no ability to read the textbook or take notes.  They even have difficulty putting ideas and definitions into their own words.  Unfortunately, they often think that if they find something on the internet, they can use it without acknowledgement or without paraphrasing.  All the high school teachers struggle with that last one.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

NOTE:  My internet is finally up at home but I'm off to a conference beginning tomorrow so I'll try to share things I'm learning as it progresses.  If I don't post, know I'm learning things to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment